I get this concern asked quite a bit as numerous small company owners simply don't like bookkeeping or do not have the time. I can inform you that virtual bookkeeping can be done rather quickly but it does rely on exactly what system you have in location and how comfortable you are with entrusting to your virtual bookkeeper.
The very first factor to consider:.
1. Accounting Program. If you are using QuickBooks, Peachtree or other accounting software, you need to make certain that your variation is the same as the virtual bookkeeper. A lot of accounting programs will enable you to bring back a file from either the exact same version or variation below (QuickBooks Pro 2009) however then you would not be able to restore the file pull back to your variation (QuickBooks Pro 2008). Many QuickBooks ProAdvisors do have numerous versions of QuickBooks on their computers. I personally have customers still making use of much older versions and they have actually decided not to update because the version just works fine for them.
2. Another alternative is QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks online enables 3 users to access the account (company owner, bookkeeper and accountant). Exactly what is nice about QuickBooks Online, is you do not should acquire software each year and the file is backed up on the Intuit server every day. You can also access the file from anywhere you have computer access - from your home office, if you take a trip regularly - from the hotel, and even review the file straight from your accounting professional's office. The QuickBooks Online variation is various than the desktop variation however if you simply make use of QuickBooks for invoicing and getting in payables, this approach will work fine for you. If you are thinking of making use of QuickBooks online, please go over with your QuickBooks ProAdvisor and they can explain the various plans offered along with aid set up your account. The regular monthly cost is in between $9.95 - $34.95 relying on what bundle you choose and bear in mind that most QuickBooks ProAdvisors do pass on their price cuts to their clients.
3. You can likewise make use of remote access websites such as logmein, gotomypc or pcanywhere where the virtual bookkeeper can log into your computer system, gain access to your QuickBooks file and upgrade as needed. The only issue with using this method is it will prevent you from using your computer at the same time as the bookkeeper and typically the getting in deals can take a little bit even more time due to type of net connection you have.
The second consideration: how do I get the info to the bookkeeper. There are a few means to manage this and once again it will depend upon what process works best for you and the bookkeeper.
1. Set up a file folder for each month of the year - January through December. Throughout the month, place your credit card receipts, supplier bills, and money expenses into the suitable file folder. When the bank statement is received, you can then send the file folder to the bookkeeper by means of Priority Mail, Express Mail, FedEx or UPS. When the bookkeeper gets the file, the charge card charges are taken part in the accounting program and the statement integrated together with your business savings account. For this approach, a lot of clients do pay their vendor expenses and send the check stubs to the bookkeeper for fixing up. Once the reconciliations have been completed, the bookkeeper will email you the regular monthly monetary reports (Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet) and mail back to you all the receipts, which have now been connected to the suitable statements (bank or credit card) for declaring.
2. For client invoicing, you can email, fax or mail the information needed for preparing the client invoice. For monthly invoicing, a master invoice template can be established with the customer declaring in the needed info and afterwards emailing to the bookkeeper for conclusion. The virtual bookkeeper can prepare and either mail or email the invoice on your behalf. The virtual bookkeeper can also assist you in keeping close tabs on your invoices.
3. For those of you who have electronic banking, it is very easy to use a virtual bookkeeper. There are a couple of ways this can be done - you can download your bank activity weekly, bi-weekly or monthly and email the details to the bookkeeper for entry in addition to the regular monthly bank statement when it is available.
For those of you who have had a long, developed relationship with your bookkeeper, you can designate access to them with your bank, and they would then be able to log in and download the deals and bank statements themselves. You can also email your bookkeeper supplier invoices with recommended payment dates and the bookkeeper can establish the vendor for payment with your online savings account.
Finally, discovering a virtual bookkeeper. You can definitely contact your accountant and ask if they can suggest a bookkeeper to help with your month-to-month transactions. Lots of bookkeepers do work carefully with their client's accountants. Throughout the year I am sending out QB files for quarterly or 6 review for tax planning conversations that my customers have with their accounting professional. Another idea would be to ask other company owner that you understand and ask them who help's them with their bookkeeping.
1. Intuit (makers of QuickBooks) has an online database of their Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors you can find at Intuit's site. You enter your zip code and a list will show the Certified ProAdvisors in your area. To become a QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor you need to take a test each year on the most recent version of QuickBooks. It is an online test and can use up to 16 hours to complete.
2. An additional referral is to discover someone who is a Certified Bookkeeper. There are 2 organizations that offer certification programs for bookkeepers and they are the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB) and the National Association of Certified Professional Bookkeepers (NACPB). With both companies you have to obtain CE credits throughout the year in order to attain your certification. In addition, NACPB offers the nation's leading bookkeeper licenses. NACPB bookkeeper licenses guarantee small company and nonprofit organizations that NACPB licensed bookkeepers are trusted and proficient bookkeepers.
3. The International Virtual Assistants Association - a non-profit company with over 1,200 members is another association where you will have the ability to discover well-qualified bookkeepers or accredited bookkeepers. They have an RFP area where you can upload your job requirements and members who match those certifications will react to your RFP.
These are simply a few of the approaches that can be utilized when working with a virtual bookkeeper. There are also other processes that can be used which I did not cover. It is necessary that when you are talking to for your virtual bookkeeper, that you both pick what procedure will work best for both yourself and the bookkeeper. Of course, when you begin working together, you could discover that emailing your QuickBooks file is just too cumbersome and you could then choose to make use of QuickBooks Online or among the remote gain access to programs. It will definitely be the task of the bookkeeper to discover the procedure that will work the best for you.